Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Creamy Rice Pudding

This is another recipe from Moosewood-- turns out the Moosewood is giving me serious inspiration to do some cooking! I made this on a lonely Saturday night when I needed some comfort food.

Original recipe:

Ingredients:

2 C. cooked rice (1 C. raw, cooked slowly in 2 C. water until well-done)

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salk
handful of raisins or chopped dates

1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash or two of nutmeg
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 C. of yogurt, sour cream, or whipped cream

optional: 1 C. grated apple, 1 C. fresh peach slices, 1/2 C. chopped nuts

Directions:

Beat eggs, milk and honey together in a blender. Combine with cooked rice and remaining ingredients, except yogurt, sour cream, or heavy cream. Spread into a buttered 8" square pan (or its equivalent) and bake at 350 F. Stir well every 8-10 minutes during baking. Remove from oven after 25 min. It'll still be loose, but will solidify as it cools. After it has cooled 10 minutes, stir in the yogurt, sour or heavy cream. Eat it hot, warm, or cold.

My comments:

I omitted the raisins and pureed a large honeycrisp apple in the blender with the eggs and milk. I also used 1/2 C. yogurt and 1/2 C. unwhipped heavy whipping cream. This was so easy to put together and absolutely delicious. It hit the spot just right. In the future if I use an apple maybe I will omit the lemon. I think the best thing about this recipe is that it can be varied easily to produce many different kinds of rice puddings using the basic formula and just adding different optional ingredients.

No comments: