Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Weekday Vegetable Soup

Hoping to use the rest of my monster cabbage, I found this recipe for a cabbage soup on Epicurious. The soup was delicious, but I still have about a fourth of the cabbage left, and that was after packing the maximum amount of cabbage possible into that soup. I made the recipe almost exactly as described, only I omitted the rosemary, added a minced clove of garlic, and replaced the rosemary with 1/4 C. chopped parsley and 1/2 tsp. of oregano and thyme. Very easy to make, but took me a while because of chopping all those vegetables. I would make this as a mom if I could chop vegetables around 4 pm and then let it simmer until it would be served.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled, chopped
1/2 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried
6 cups canned chicken broth
1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Additional grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, cabbage, onion, celery and rosemary and sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes with their juices and simmer 45 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve, passing additional cheese separately.

p.s. Loved this soup. Also should note: used neighbor's soup pot. Thanks Castleman boys.

No comments: