Monday, January 19, 2009

Pumpkin Re-visited

In the past week I have re-made both the pumpkin pie and the pumpkin and leek soup. Here's the updates on both recipes:

Pumpkin and Leek Soup

I re-made this recipe with the addition of half a red bell pepper added in at the beginning with the leek and pumpkin and pureed as part of the whole soup. I added a little less spice and used whole fat sour cream and the result was a mellower, slightly creamier soup. I also simmered the soup with the lid off this time and found the consistency to be just right after only minor simmering post-puree. I fed this to the missionaries and the Stockman-Broadbents and S. who received it with great enthusiasm (that is all except the youngest missionary from Utah, who I think continued to be skeptical. It's ok. He's only a college sophomore age.)

Pumpkin Pie

I froze 2/3rds of the original dough, and for the second pie I thawed the pie dough overnight in the refrigerator and then warmed it to room temperature on the counter for about 20 minutes. Rolling 1/3 of this thawed dough out was the easiest thing imaginable. It didn't stick and rolled out into a perfect circle. This was a much easier experience than I had with the unfrozen dough, so perhaps in the future I'll plan ahead and only make this pie when I can freeze and unfreeze the dough overnight-ish.

I made the filling the same way but baked it for a little bit longer and chilled it overnight before serving. The end result was a much firmer pie with a better texture that I loved.

I bought whipped cream so I could make a third pie soon. I might be slightly obsessed.

No comments: