Thursday, March 29, 2012

Creamy Potato Soup

So I actually "blogged" this recipe before-- but was corrected in the actual soup made by a comment from my sister R. (I had not made the soup, just eaten it at a family dinner). Now a few months later the Robber has purchased a big bag of red potatoes, languishing on the counter. Having time off, I took it upon myself to turn some of the potatoes into soup, with excellent results and minimal effort. We ate this soup with half whole-wheat biscuits and the Robber declared it a success, which for soup, is saying something.

Adapted from Potage Parmentier, a recipe in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

Ingredients:

1 lbs peeled potatoes, sliced or drained (I used six smallish red potatoes)
1 lbs thinly sliced leeks including the tender green (I used two leeks, some of the green)
5 C. water
1 T. salt
2/3 C. light whipping cream
Pepper to taste
Additional salt to taste

Directions:

1) Place chopped potatoes and leeks in large pot. Add in water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered 40-50 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

2) Remove 1 C. (or more, as desired for texture) of water/broth.

3) Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it has the desired consistency (I like to leave a few chunks of potato hanging around in my soup rather than make it uniformly blended.)

4) Remove from heat. Add in whipping cream and stir thoroughly. Add in additional salt and pepper to your taste. Serve warm.

No comments: