Thursday, April 19, 2012

Banana Bread

I have an .... ambivalent/hate relationship with banana bread. If you give it to me, I will sometimes like it, often feel very meh about it, often hate it, very rarely find it blissful. I've never met a banana bread recipe I loved, but then I haven't gone looking. But the Robber has gone sick on me this week, and his sick state he keeps calling out for "a pastry, I just want a pastry." When pushed and prodded, it turns out a "pastry" is better known as "a banana walnut muffin" or "French bread." So today I scrolled through my recent favorite food blogs, made a list of "pastries"-- ie banana containing bread products, bought a bunch of bananas, and let the Robber who had stayed home sick pick which recipe he wanted made, and this one is the one that won out.

So, banana bread. This banana bread was good-- meaning it was moist, and sweet but not too sweet (I hate dry, bland banana bread and also uber too sweet banana bread) so in those ways it was a winner. And what I loved was the carmelized bananas and the top crust-- I could just eat that and be happy. But I was still on the whole underwhelmed. Perhaps that will always be true of banana bread for me. Although I do have memories of a coconut banana bread my mom made a few times that was amazing-- at least in my nostalgic memory. Anyway. The Robber didn't like the crust but did like the cake so if we make this again we should cut a horizontal slice 1/3rd of the way down and I'll eat the top and he can have the bottom.

Notes: I tried the whole microwave the banana thing and no liquid came out. Hrmmm. Oh well. Oh and I added walnuts for the Robber's sake. He loved them.

From Cook's Illustrated by way of Annie:
http://annies-eats.com/2010/08/30/banana-bread/

Ingredients:

1¾ C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
6 large, very ripe bananas (about 2¼ lbs.), peeled
8 T.. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
¾ C. packed light brown sugar (I used dark)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. granulated sugar

Optional: 1 C. chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Lightly spray a loaf pan (about 9 x 5 inches) with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; whisk together and set aside.

2. Place 5 bananas in a microwave safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and make several slits in the wrap to act as steam vents. Microwave on high until the bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bananas to a fine mesh strainer set over a medium bowl and let drain, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes (you should have ½-¾ cup liquid).

3. Transfer the reserved banana liquid to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to about ¼ cup, 5-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the bananas and the reduced banana liquid. Mash with a potato masher or whisk until fairly smooth.

4. Whisk in the melted butter, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the banana mixture. Fold together gently, just until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.

5. Slice the remaining banana diagonally into ¼-inch thick slices. Layer the banana slices along both sides of the top of the batter, leaving a couple of inches in the center to allow an even rise. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the assembled loaf.

6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55-75 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool at least 15 minutes in the pan before removing. Continue to cool and serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: